We’re very close to the companies we work with. If your application is a match, we’ll reach out to you. And you can trust us to never show you to a client without talking to you first. We hope to meet you soon!
Head of Accounting
580 California St #400 San Francisco, CA 94104 US
Controller/Head of Accounting
COMPANY DESCRIPTION: Our client is a mission driven, venture-backed business based in San Francisco. They have spent the last 13 years building the world’s largest network for sharing and finding academic research online. With over 200MM users and nearly half of the world’s academics using their platform every month, their product team develops and grows compelling products for researchers and academics at a massive scale. They raised their Series D funding round in December 2021 and are focused on growth. Come join them and make a difference while building a successful business!
LOCATION: San Francisco. There is a ton of flexibility and while they would prefer someone in the Bay Area who can come to the office regularly, they are open to someone fully remote with occasional travel.
You enjoy rolling your sleeves up and diving in to solve problems. While you can get into the weeds, you also know when to zoom out and prioritize your time given the strategy and goals we're aiming to achieve. You've worked at a high growth business and want to take those experiences and do it better. You enjoy hiring and developing a team, seeing them take on new responsibilities and get better. You hold yourself and others to a high standard and take pride in your work.
The Head of Accounting will build out the accounting systems and processes and establish operational discipline for a rapidly growing software business. The position is the company's first dedicated accounting hire. We are seeking someone who is willing to roll their sleeves up to have a big impact in building a company which values its employees and customers.
· 1st hire on the team – this person will be responsible for building a world class accounting organization from scratch. An outsourced accounting firm is currently used.
· Responsible for the month-end close and associated reporting and analysis
· Take the company through their 1st year audit (have not engaged auditors yet)
· Responsible for paying VAT in countries where VAT is due
· Implement ASC 606 and be the go-to person for all technical and operational rev rec issues
· 3+ years of Big 4 or top tier accounting firms
· 4+ years of industry experience within technology company
· In depth knowledge of U.S. GAAP, including familiarity with accounting positions and related guidance provided by SEC
- Strong revenue recognition and overall technical accounting background
· Experience working with VAT is a must
· Experience taking a company through an audit process is a strong plus
· Experience with enterprise level ERP/accounting software
· Experience building and operationalizing accounting procedures and processes
· High level of attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize demands and meet deadlines
· Efficient and creative problem-solver, comfortable with ambiguity, complexity, and nuance.
· Able to take ownership of fast-paced projects with rapidly shifting priorities, managing them through to completion with patience, flexibility, and passion.
· Consistent track record of increased responsibilities and scope
· Proven ability to teach and develop. Patience and ability to explain accounting concepts to non-accountants across the company
· Experience at a high growth SaaS company is a big plus
· Public accounting experience is a plus
Determining compensation for this role (and others) at Vaco depends upon a wide array of factors including but not limited to the individual’s skill sets, experience and training, licensure and certifications, office location and other geographic considerations, as well as other business and organizational needs. With that said, as required by local law, Vaco believes that the following salary range reasonably estimates the base compensation for an individual hired into this position in geographies that require salary range disclosure: $200,000-$300,000. The individual may also be eligible for discretionary bonuses.