We’re very close to the companies we work with. If your application is a match, we’ll reach out to you. And you can trust us to never show you to a client without talking to you first. We hope to meet you soon!
Controller (Sr. Director)
701 Gateway Blvd #410 South San Francisco, CA 94080 US
Our client develops life-changing medicines for patients using advanced structure-based and computational drug discovery technology. The company’s platform combines the latest advancements in visualization of molecular interactions, computational chemistry, and data integration to design orally available, superior small molecule medicines that overcome current limitations of biologic and peptide drugs. They are advancing a clinical-stage pipeline of differentiated treatments focused on chronic diseases with high unmet need, including cardiovascular, metabolic, and pulmonary conditions.
LOCATION: South San Francisco, CA. Hybrid. 1 - 2 days per week.
The Sr. Dir, Accounting & Corporate Controller will be responsible for all accounting and consolidation activities for the Company. The position will also maintain the integrity of the general ledger, build, and supervise the accounting team, lead the accounting close and consolidation process, and develop and maintain scalable, SOX 404 compliant processes in line with the expected company growth. This position will have a direct and significant impact on how they build, operate, and manage our finance and accounting functions.
The ideal candidate will have public company experience in environments within the biotech/pharma industry as well as public accounting experience. They seek a hard-working, team player who will interact collaboratively with the entire management team and play a key role in implementing their financial management processes across our organization, including working with finance team members in global office locations. The position will report to the Sr. Vice President of Finance.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Provide direct hands-on oversight and management of financial accounting team and external consultants
- Manage accounting close calendar deadlines to ensure objectives are met
- Manage and participate in the monthly, quarterly, and annual close procedures and the overall execution of accounting and finance protocols, strategy, and timelines.
- Organize and manage close activities to ensure a timely close, while maintaining accuracy and adherence to SOX 404 internal control standards.
- Support preparation of all public company filings including annual form 10K and quarterly 10Q’s
- Provide direct hands-on contributions, oversight and management of payroll, including reviewing and approving payroll, and compensation related journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Act as a primary point of contact for annual audit and quarterly reviews with external auditors
- Analyze and confirm accuracy of quarterly intercompany service agreement billing for the Company and its subsidiaries.
- Manage cash as well as approval and review of monthly disbursements for releasing domestic and international payments
- Oversee tracking and reconciliation of intercompany quarterly billings between China, Cayman Island and United States entities
- Participate in the company’s development and maintenance of accounting policies and procedures that meet SOX requirements, including driving the company’s SOX 404 compliance and audit
- Proactively and frequently interact and collaborate with various internal and external business partners, to ensure that financial transactions are appropriately accounted for
- Assist in researching complex accounting issues and implementation of procedures to ensure that transactions are properly recorded under U.S. GAAP and China GAAP
- Recommend and implement best practices regarding accounting policies and procedures as well as systems and processes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting close and other finance operations.
- Actively participate and contribute as subject matter expert in continuous optimization of Oracle NetSuite and other financial applications.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members in delivering high quality, reliable, decision ready information to business partners.
- Act as a primary point of contact for external audits.
- Perform other related accounting/finance duties as required by the position.
Core Competencies, Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Recent experience in a SOX 404 compliant environment is required.
- Recent demonstrated ability to lead, develop and manage an accounting team and drive continuous process improvements.
- Oracle NetSuite experience is preferred.
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and SOX requirements and experience managing external and internal audit activities.
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills with the ability to synthesize complex information identify accounting and operational issues and formulate solution alternatives, and design and implement workflow, and other procedures.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to efficiently manage a team to provide high quality work.
- Unquestionable integrity and judgment.
- Ability to work in a quickly changing environment and manage multiple competing priorities.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities to successfully meet deadlines.
- Strong contributor in a team environment, with the ability to balance team and individual viewpoints and responsibilities. Demonstrated ability leading and mentoring a team.
- Enthusiasm to help build one of the best finance organizations in the industry.
- PC literacy required; MSOffice skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
- Active CPA license preferred.
- 12 + years of experience preferably public accounting and public companies in the biotechnology industry
- Experience with accounting for international subsidiaries highly desired